Senior Database Administrator
Join Team Volanno – Selected by The Washington Post as a Top Workplace!
Senior Database Administrator (DBA) to maintain, upgrade and provide support for our client’s database and software systems. Heavy emphasis on designing database schemas and creating stored procedures and functions to support a large data warehouse. Upcoming efforts include receiving data in real time, leading to high availability database infrastructure with failover capability. Works with other DBAs on the team to ensure systems are running optimally.
The ideal candidate will be able to clearly communicate technical concerns and solutions to many different people with varying degrees of technical knowledge as well as work with individuals in all department to help solve their technical issues.
This position will function within a highly motivated, dynamic team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for best design practices and a desire to develop new bold ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience working in Information Technology, with two (2) of those years working as a DBA on complex database systems.
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance (or higher) from a federal agency.
Required Abilities, Knowledge & Skills
- Familiarity with Postgres or Oracle database management systems
- Ability to perform data transformation operations as needed
- Write and optimize complex queries, create indexes and partitions
- Ability to store complex data, such as binary files and JSON, in the most optimal way possible
- Manage lifecycle support of database systems by applying patches and upgrades.
- Modify database structures, as necessary, based on information given by application developers
- Diagnose and resolve problems; monitors and improves performance, migrates data as required
- Assist in creation and analysis of optimized stored procedures for data pull and push
- Liaise with developers to develop, improve applications, and establish SOP processes
- Designs and supports backup and recovery processes and continuity of operations plan
- Create, monitor, optimize database performance utilizing advanced performance tuning skills
- Automate recurring or redundant database tasks
- Develop database standards, guidelines and best practices
- Lead and contribute to design discussions in a cross-functional project setting
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system
- Maintain database integrity, availability, and restorability
- Execute and automate database refreshes
- Perform quality assurance checks by running SQL queries and comparing data sets
- Provide on-call support which can require analysis and troubleshooting of complex issues
- Evaluate and research new database features, version and technologies
- Availability and willingness to work after hours and weekends on a rotation schedule.
- Experience with database deployments on Linux/Unix and Windows operating systems
- Geospatial data experience
- Cloud technologies such as AWS RDS is a plus
- Familiarity with version control tools such as Git (Bitbucket).
- Agile training or experience (Scrum or Kanban)
- Previous work within a containerized environment such as Docker.
- Understanding the principles of Continuous Integration.
- Familiarity with consuming content by use of APIs.
Named a Top Workplace by The Washington Post, Volanno is a certified woman-owned small business based in Washington, DC. As an IT solution provider, our services include custom software development, program management, and advanced data analytics. From scoping and defining to implementation and support, we are ready to support our clients’ needs at any stage of development in designing and building solutions that prepare them for the future.
Volanno is an equal opportunity employer. Volanno will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.